In July 1918 Brighton Corporation agreed to purchase the Moulsecoomb estate then owned by Benjamin Rogers-Tillstone, an area of 424½ acres.
The land not immediately required for housing continued to be used as farm land or for nurseries. The land on the West side of the Lewes Road between Moulsecoomb Place and the railway bridge over the Lewes Road was used to grow cabbages, other green vegetables, root vegetables, fruit trees, currant bushes, flowers and bulbs. For a full list of the produce being grown use the link below to the inventory made in November 1949 when the nursery was being taken over for housing.
School Boys take Apples from the Bates Nursery
On the 15 September 1951 the Brighton and Hove Herald published the following article.
Two new projects costing £169,000
One plan is for 65 houses costing £85,000 on the North Brighton Estate, and the other is for sixty flats on the Bates Nursery site costing £84,000.
These have been made possible by Brighton’s extra allocation of 111 new homes. Of these, 22 will be built privately. The total of 125 is completed by the balance of 36 left from the original allocation.
Brighton’s total programme for this year is now therefore 551 Corporation dwellings and 138 privately built houses.
Later still blocks of flats was built in Highbrook Close and Wild Park Close.
The roads are all shown on a Brighton street map from the late 1970s.
Plan showing the layout of the flats on the Bates Estate dated December 1951. © ESRO
More Building Plans for the Bates Estate.
Photograph showing Bates Estate Flats under construction on 23 June 1953.
Photograph showing the arrangement of the flats on the Bates Estate in 2018.
Flats on the Bates Estate photographed in February 2018.
More photographs from the time that the estate was being constructed and of the estate today.